This week we tackled a small 2 day job. We spent the day laying vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring. Which can be complicated to get right however with the appropriate information and also procedures, any kind of do-it-yourself-er and homeowner can tackle a job such as this with self-confidence. As always I will provide all tools and also materials you will require to lay vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring.
Your brand-new vinyl flooring
Vinyl flooring adhesive (we made use of a releasable pressure delicate adhesive from Chap-co).
End up nails.
caulking( try as well as match the shade of your floor covering).
Blue painters tape.
If not reusing old wall and also thresholds your will certainly need to purchase brand-new.
Razor blade (hook blade and conventional blade).
Hammer & level bar.
Complete nail gun( hammer as well as nail collection will certainly likewise work).
If recycling old moulding), Miter Saw( not essential.
Repaint brush & roller( if making use of releasable stress sensitive adhesive, with some adhesives you will require a 1/8 scratched tile trowel to spread your glue, always make certain to review and comply with the makers instructions on container).
2x4 covered in carpeting or a towel.
Being a homeowner you will probably very own these devices. If not, you can pick them up at your regional hardware store and not have to fret as you will have the ability to utilize any one of these listed devices time and time again.
1. And most certainly you will need to clear out the location. If its your kitchen area it is always best to remove your refrigerator as well as cooktop to run the floor covering under them.
2. Utilizing your hammer as well as level bar, it's time to get rid of any kind of base board moulding or quarter rounded trim from around the sides of your flooring. , if you are going to merely recycle your old moulding make certain not to damage any of your items as your eliminating them.. Seeing as your going with a brand new floor I would recommend changing all the moulding. It depends exactly how batter the old moulding is as well as your spending plan.
3. Evaluate your flooring. Seek bubbles and also loosened locations. Utilizing your razor blade, w/ a standard blade, cut out and remove these bad areas.
4. Vacuum the floor of all dirt and also particles to maintain it out of your skim coat.
5. Currently it's time to skim coat the flooring. We made use of a Henry 547 Universal Patch & Skim Coat. This skim coat just gets blended with water. Comply with the directions on the bundle of whatever skim coat you select to use. If you are filling out areas where it will be thicker you will want to fill up those locations with a thicker mix. Using your masonry trowel, spread the skim coat throughout the whole floor. This will certainly complete the locations you required to eliminate along with any type of appearance in the existing vinyl. Even if you do not require to cut any areas out, your new vinyl will suck up limited to the old floor covering a lot that you will see the structure of the old floor come through to your new flooring. This is a required action and also is what makes laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl floor covering feasible.
6. Cover it up, you're done for about 14-18 hours depending on for how long your skim coat product requires to establish and completely dry.
7. Now that your skim coat has dried. Check the surface. Utilizing your trowel remove any drips or any lines you left. The key to the skim coat is to get it perfectly level as feasible.
8. Vacuum cleaner the whole floor extremely thoroughly. Any particles you leave on your flooring will be seen through the brand-new vinyl.
9. Currently it is time to eliminate your new vinyl flooring. There are a pair means you may want to tackle this. You can merely take dimensions as well as draw a layout on your own to adhere to. An additional method is to obtain a roll of construction paper, lay it out as well as cut on your own a pattern. In any case you select to do this you require to make sure to leave a good 2 inches right around. The hook blade functions excellent for eliminating your brand-new floor. If you are making use of a really felt backed vinyl you will need to make relief cuts in the inside edges of your new flooring. You will certainly likewise need to tape these edges with blue painters tape to strengthen them. Felt backed vinyl is weak. It will tear and also split on you especially in those edges. , if you are utilizing a sheet vinyl item you will certainly not have to fret about this.
10. Bring your new flooring into the area as well as meticulously spread it as well as lay it down where it goes. Utilizing your typical blade press the excess you left into the corners and also cut off the excess around the whole floor. If you are making use of a flooring that has straight lines going through it you will certainly intend to see to it you have those lines lined up just how you desire them prior to you cut your floor. You may need to shift it over and also if you have already cut it you may not allow enough to fit up to the wall surface.
11. It's time for adhesive when you have your floor all reduced out and all set to go. with the releasable stress sensitive adhesive you will certainly be able to just paint it on the flooring. Other glues may call for a notched trowel. Read and also comply with the directions on the adhesive you are utilizing. The releasable adhesive is recommended, by the maker, for sheet vinyl product. Fold back one side of your floor covering regarding midway back. Spread your glue. , if you want a permanent bond with the releasable adhesive you will not want to allow it dry entirely.. Once the adhesive is ready, meticulously lay your vinyl back where it was on the flooring. Utilizing a size of 2x4 covered in rug( or wrapped in a towel) press and slide out the floor covering in the direction of the outdoors sides. This is mosting likely to dislodge creases and bubbles, making sure a tight bond. Repeat this for the opposite of your flooring.
12. Now you can change your old moulding and also thresholds. Make sure your dimensions are right and angles are appropriate if you pick to replace your moulding. , if you try utilizing the old items as templates they will all run somewhat bigger and won't fit in their areas.. If you weren't able to get your floor excellent and there are some areas that aren't entirely covered, either by the base board or brand-new flooring (i.e. around doorways and also their trim), you can use caulking to complete these locations.
13. Some adhesives require waiting a while to completely dry, prior to moving any type of furnishings or appliances on top of it. A great general rule would be to wait a couple hrs prior to relocating things back, but simply see what the item your making use of recommends and also adhere to that.
It is a fairly easy procedure for any kind of homeowner or do-it-yourself-er. The key is your skim coat. This is what makes laying vinyl flooring over vinyl floor covering feasible. The texture of your old floor WILL show with on your brand-new vinyl if you do not skim coat it.
I pointed out really felt back/paper back vinyl and also whats called sheet vinyl. Vinyl itself is a really affordable material for an excellent looking all new flooring. The price range between your less expensive( really felt backed, splits as well as fractures REALLY conveniently) and also your higher quality( sheet vinyl, won't crack, tear or crease) vinyls isn't a huge distinction. Sheet vinyl is a lot less complicated to work with and lay. The difference in price will be well worth the disappointment of installing it. And also if you get the less costly vinyl and also it rips, your mosting likely to need to either buy a vinyl seam bonding product or go out and purchase one more piece of vinyl. We extremely suggest utilizing a sheet vinyl item with a releasable stress sensitive adhesive for ideal outcomes.
Laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring is a great weekend job that will certainly leave you with a lovely brand-new flooring in addition to boost the worth of your house. Best of luck on your following house enhancement task, and make sure to inspect back with us for brand-new and upgraded info on Do It Yourself as well as house enhancements.
What's all the hassle about vinyl flooring lately? One probably thinks plain, monotonous and also shabby as you conger up photos of that vinyl floor covering of the past. The drab gold or run down orange as well as brown square patterns from your grandmother's kitchen are no much longer.
Technology has actually enhanced throughout the years and the vinyl flooring of today is much from drab. Thanks to developments in manufacturing and design, it has actually been changed with a much more durable, click here luxury vinyl flooring that has promptly come to be popular.
Right here are five big factors to think about luxury vinyl flooring regardless of what room in the house you are considering revamping.
1. Vast Array Of Styles As Well As Colors.
It is the second layer of vinyl flooring that makes it flexible and so attractive. A printing process called rotogravure is made use of on this layer to imprint the design. This approach of printing utilizes a rotary press with photoengraved plates to imprint just about any kind of kind of design onto the vinyl.
Since it is now made to imitate the look of so many all-natural substrates, resilient vinyl floor covering is so flexible. Stone, floor tile, timber, linoleum, block and also marble are simply some of the alternatives offered. A multitude of patterns, appearances and shades create countless opportunities. No matter what your design or budget plan choice, there are lots of options to pick from.
2. Easy To Clean.
Vinyl floors today are regular offered as "no wax" floors. These "no-wax" surface areas are simpler to clean since the floor shines without waxing. A damp mop is all that is generally needed to maintain it clean. The leading wear layer will also be very resistant to discoloration as well as damaging.
It is essential to keep in mind that these "no-wax" floors will eventually shed their shine with time. Producers advise that the floor be rubbed or recoated with the "no-wax" material over the surface area where the shine has actually decreased. It is constantly best to use the supplier's recommended layer material as there are various formulations on the marketplace.
3. Long-term, Put On Resistant.
There are 2 types that use wear resistance and a lengthy life span:.
Printed Vinyl Flooring.
Consists of 3-4 Layers.
Use layer (top).
Padding layer (optional).
Most vinyl floor covering consists of 3 to 4 layers sandwiched together to develop a material that is both stunning and also resilient. The initial layer consists of a support product that is made from felt or fiberglass. The 2nd layer is a printed layer of vinyl that sticks to the base layer. There might be a cushioning layer on some designs. The last layer is called a "wear layer", as well as it is additionally made from vinyl.
The wear layer is made also from vinyl as well as shields the floor from deterioration. Its resistance to damages and also gouging depends on the density of the layer. The thicker the wear layer, the even more long lasting the flooring will certainly be. FHA requirements are a minimum of 10 mils however the most effective flooring designs provide to 30 mils for optimal security. It is necessary to ask the sales person regarding the density of the wear layer if you are looking for the very best efficiency.
Inlaid Vinyl Flooring.
With inlaid vinyl floor covering the pattern is developed throughout the thickness of the vinyl. This type is extra expensive, however if the pattern is broken or damaged, it is not noticeable since the pattern expands throughout the whole depth of the sheet. Inlaid vinyl floorings do not have a wear layer, yet they do have a base backing layer.
4. Comfortable Underfoot.
If you are mosting likely to install your flooring in areas where you will certainly be doing a great deal of walking or standing, such as in the kitchen area, a design that consists of a cushioned backing will likely be most comfy. When compared to tile, wood or laminate floorings, the cushioned vinyl flooring will constantly supply a greater degree of comfort for standing as well as strolling.
5. Much Less Difficult Installation.
An expert is constantly advised for installment, the procedure can be less complicated than other types of flooring since you can commonly mount the brand-new flooring right over the existing one. You can chat with your sales individual about installing the vinyl flooring right over it if you have an evenly-surfaced tile or wood floor. Due to the fact that you might not have to pay a person to get rid of the old floor covering prior to mounting the brand-new one, this can save you money and also time in the lengthy run.
Additionally with floor tile, timber and also also laminate floor covering your service provider might require to do a large amount of unpleasant cutting to fit the assemble. With roll-type vinyl, this mess is reduced which can save you money and clean up time in the long run.
We spent the day laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring. As always I will detail all products as well as tools you will need to lay vinyl flooring over vinyl floor covering.
I stated really felt back/paper back vinyl as well as whats called sheet vinyl. Not to point out if you get the less expensive vinyl as well as it tears, your going to need to either purchase a vinyl joint bonding item or go out as well as get one more piece of vinyl. With inlaid vinyl floor covering the pattern is developed throughout the density of the vinyl.